Nationwide information and educational campaign aimed at raising COPD awareness in Poland – ongoing project
In November 2017 during World COPD day celebrations we have started an educational campaign “COPD – Get involved” aimed at raising social awareness of the disease. The idea is to inform and educate general public about the problem so the public knows how COPD affected people do feel and what they have to cope with in their daily activities.
Actions performed during this campaign are aimed at spreading relevant knowledge about COPD and its health and social impact, increase diagnostic and therapeutic efficiency, limit morbidity and mortality associated with COPD, promote healthy life-style and encourage people to quit smoking.
We want to make sure that general public is aware of CODP, its underlying causes and symptoms, while those affected and their relatives know how to control those symptoms and how to cope with CODP in general.
This campaign has been sponsored by Polish Pulmonary Diseases Association.
In November and December 2017 we have:
- organized a press conference inaugurating the campaign and awareness program. 4 Polish Pulmonary Diseases Association experts and 20 journalists took part in that event, including representatives of such media as Polish Radio, Polish Press Agency, Super Express, Pani and Wysokie Obcasy magazines.
- run 2 public opinion polls (quantitative and qualitative).
- created an internet site dedicated to the campaign: www.wlaczsiewpochp.pl.
- created Facebook and YouTube social media profiles for the campaign.
- organized 6-day long tour of a branded mobile consultation facility (truck with special trailer) covering three Polish major cities (Warszawa, Katowice, Kraków) during which:
- medical advice/consultation were provided
- there was an opportunity to test COPD symptoms simulator
- changes occurring within lungs due to tobacco products smoking were visualized with the help of VR apps created by us just for that purpose
- Information about our activities was:
- published in 17 articles published just after the conference (including those published by Polish Press Agency, Polish Radio, Dziennik daily, MEdExpress, Puls Medycyny and in 6 articles & media broadcasts inspired by conference news (in that TVP Kraków and Gazeta Pomorska daily).
- broadcasted on local TV channels in cities included in our roadshow (TVP Kraków & TVP Katowice).
- advertized in Super Express daily (Warszawa, Katowice, Kraków) and in a supplement to the Rzeczpospolita daily „Zdrowy Oddech” (Healthy Breath)
- advertised through animated spots displayed in public transport vehicles (Warszawa, Katowice, Kraków)